Monday, April 16, 2012

Advertising For Etsy Shops

Where do you advertise your Etsy shop? Advertising is one of the things that most people feel is a complete waste of money. That is about as far from the truth as you can get. Do you really think that if Coke or Pepsi stopped advertising their current customer base would be enough to pay all of their stock holders their dividends?

The main purpose of advertising is to get new customers. The secondary purpose is to inform current customers of special deals. I advertise exclusively on Facebook now.  Well, other than the standard link in email, business cards and signatures in groups and message boards. I direct all my traffic to my Facebook page.

From my Facebook page I list new products and do giveaways. When I have a sale the fans on Facebook are the first to know and sometimes the only to know. I spend about $50 a month on Facebook ads and I am well compensated for it.

Where do you advertise and how is it working out for you?

4 comments:

  1. I tried Google adwords, and didn't get a single extra click above my monthly average.

    I've avoided FB because of the privacy issues - as in, there appears to be NO privacy allowed on FB.

    I'm trying to use Google + now, but I must be doing it wrong. Not to mention I'm completely bored with it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,

    I am afraid that privacy issues are with just about any social networks. Fortunately, with a Facebook page you actually do have some privacy. You can create a page with no one knowing who you are and no way to find out. I have my personal page only available to friends so there is privacy there as well.

    As with any system of advertising, the only way to make it work is to track your results and adjust for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with etsy for two years and a few trick i discovered with minimum out lay is to open free shops on some of the free craft sites and put a link back to my etsy shop, most of the craft sites dont mind you doing this as they realize that if a buyer comes to their site they most likely will buy from that site, bear in mind some of these free sites are not free 100% they charge commission. I have listed products on crafty, dawanda and isupportamerican. The last one is relatively new and takes slightly longer to set up but bizarrely whatever they do my products show up on google page 1 ahead of the other sites ??. I also have my facebook page with links to all my shops and Pinterest gets my products noticed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have business cards and a sig file in my email. I have a Facebook page for my Etsy shop, and a blog, and a Twitter account. As for PAID ads, I've tried a few (inexpensive) ads in the past. Currently I'm running an ad in the "directory" of the new FOLK magazine. I've got a 6-issue commitment and I think I'm on the 2nd issue now. I sold $100 from my Etsy shop about the time the first ad came out, but not a lot that I can attribute to the magazine ad since then.

    ReplyDelete