Tuesday, January 21, 2014

An Interesting Change To Your Etsy Shop


We've been discussing your Etsy shop in my Etsy Shop Makeover Challenge. First I asked you to look at some trending and hot treasuries. Next I asked you to pick 10 items and completely rewrite them. It's funny how I didn't even notice a very important change to your Etsy shop that can affect you in many ways!

It would seem that Etsy has changed how many items default to your front age of your shop. It used to be that you had 4 Featured items and then 20 other items on your front page. Now it seem they have changed it to 4 Featured items and 80 other items! This makes it super important to have your best items in the front of your shop!

If you have less than 80 items there isn't anything you can really do except make sure that your best items are at the top of your shop. If you have more than 80 items you NEED to put your best items on your first page. I currently have over 400 items and am in the process of rewriting 80 descriptions and titles and tags to insure that my best items are at the forefront of my shop. Yes, it is a daunting task but one that is much needed.

On a related note, I suggest making sure your listings are diverse on your first page. Give your customers a showing of what you do. I try and not have two of the same type of item next to each other on my first page. This means spreading my rings out with my bracelets and necklaces to insure a more broad view of what I do. You want to show potential customers as much as you can without seeming too disorganized.

That is all for today. I will get back to the challenge tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!

5 comments:

  1. Right now Etsy is testing different numbers of items to display per page - some people are seeing 40, some 60, and some 80. Some people are still seeing the old default. Once the testing is done, Etsy will choose a new number of items as the default.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaurelMoon-

    Thanks for cluing us in on that. I looked but could find no announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 80 items didn't last very long, at least for me. About the time I got used to it and decided that I sort of liked it, it was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would have liked to see some posts about all the other tests Etsy has been running this year ...

    ReplyDelete